Remember when Coca-Cola changed its formula?
In 1985, Coke reformulated its classic taste to “New Coke.” A reformulation is when a company changes what a product is made of, even if it’s only a small change.
For those of us who are #blessed with acne-prone skin, we must check the labels of every product that touches our skin. This includes lotions, make-up, toothpaste, and even laundry detergent! Once we find a favorite acne-safe product, we’ll re-buy the same product over and over again.
Sadly, there are no notifications that a product reformulated. Without knowing, your favorite shampoo becomes a pesky pore-clogger quicker than you can say “coconut oil.”
Always check the ingredients list
Most people only check once when they first buy their products. It’s smart to double-check the product ingredients against the pore cloggers list each time you buy a product (or at least every couple months).
If you don’t, that innocent-looking conditioner you thought you could trust, just might be what’s breaking you out, especially if you are:
- Getting body/back breakouts
- Breaking out more on the side you are sleeping on
- Breakout out around your hairline
- Suddenly breaking out, but you haven’t changed anything
- Find yourself with super stubborn breakouts that just don’t seem to clear
When was the last time you checked your products’ ingredients?
Head to the shower, grab your shampoo and conditioner and check them against the list. Rush to your vanity, don’t let a pesky hair oil keep you from being clear! Check your ingredients, even if the first time they were safe. And if it’s a pore clogger, pour it down the drain!
Psst… want a quick look at the pore cloggers list? Just go to www.porecloggers.com.
Some former acne-safe products that reformulated to become #porecloggers (just to name a few)*
- Aveda Color Conserve Shampoo & Conditioner
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture and Shine Shampoo
- Head and Shoulders Shampoo
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo
- L’Oreal Everpure Shampoos & Conditioners
- Mineral Fusion Shampoo
- Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo & Conditioner
*As of September 6, 2017
You might also like: